Michigan Sports Betting
Simply sign up, make a deposit and place your first wager. Place a first-time wager of up to $1,100, get it back the same amount in the form of a Free Bet insurance match if you lose.
DraftKings’ offer is a straightforward deposit match. DK will match 20% of your initial deposit up to $1,000. Deposit $5,000 when you open your csm bet casino account and DraftKings will deposit an additional $1,000. You will have $6,000 to bet on sports.
Simply sign up, make a deposit and place your first wager. If the bet loses, FanDuel will give you the amount of your wager back in free bets up to $1,000.
Simply sign up, make a deposit and place your first wager. If the bet loses, TwinSpires will give you the amount of your wager back in free bets up to $100.
Multisports Promo: Bet $10 Win $200
Simply sign up, make a deposit and place your first wager. If the bet loses, BetMGM will give you the amount of your wager back in free bets up to $1,000.
The BetRivers offer is a straightforward deposit match. BetRivers will match 100% of your initial deposit up to $250. Deposit $250 when you open your csm bet casino account and BR will deposit an additional $250. You will have $500 to bet on sports.
PointBet’s offer is simple. Up to $1,500 back if you lose your first Pointsbetting wager and up to $500 back if you lose your first fixed odds wager.
This page contains references to products from one of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Affiliate Policy, visit this page.
Sports betting is taking over the world and it’s no different in the United States. Sports betting law became legal in both online and retail markets in Michigan in late 2019, providing players access to a large betting industry.
Online betting sites offer are a lot of options for you to explore. Many powerhouse brands were eager to make an early impact and players have access to such operators as FanDuel, DraftKings, BetMGM, and BetRivers among online providers.
Let’s look into the pros and cons of sports betting in Michigan and get to know the industry a bit better.
Pros & Cons Of Betting On Sports In Michigan
- Many banking options are available.
- College sports betting is legal, so players can bet on their favorite teams and players.
- In-Play and live betting is allowed via online and land-based providers.
- Horse racing is legal and a secondary option for bettors.
- Fantasy Sports is also offered in the state.
- Players must be 21 or older to access services.
- Sports betting winnings are considered taxable income.
- An internet connection is required for online sports betting.
- It’s only legal to bet within the confines of Michigan. Once you step out of the state, you may no longer place any bets.
Would We Bet On Sports At Michigan Sportsbooks?
Do we recommend sports betting in Michigan? Yes, 100%. It is a big market, with the best companies already in it, and others planning to get in. It is legal and fun, and you have so many options to choose from, including a variety of betting markets and bet types.
Sports betting is becoming a crucial part of sports in general, so hop on the train as soon as possible. With the bonuses they offer, and the reliable companies there are, it’s a no-brainer. You can also try your luck by playing at Michigan online casinos.
How To Sign Up At A Betting Site
The registration process for Michigan betting sites is simple. First of all, do your research to find the best app to wager on. Once you have chosen an operator, download the app or use the desktop site to create an account.
The sign-up process includes adding your personal information. Submit your name, last name, e-mail, birth date, and address. The last four digits of your SSN will be asked to ensure your identity. Some books will also ask for a picture of yourself or even a scanned version of your credit card.
Once you go through that part, select your preferred method of payment and make your deposit. Once everything is verified (time varies depending on the sportsbook), you can bet! It can take from 5-10 minutes. But it’s worth it.
Quick note—if you already have an account registered on the sportsbook or racebook, log in with that one, don’t create a csm bet casino one. Otherwise, it may cause both accounts to get blocked and placed on hold.
Like we mentioned before, it’s only legal to bet in Michigan if you are in the state. So, to avoid any disruption, GeoComply enters the equation.
This is the service that legal apps use to make sure you are within the state’s borders. This technology works both on mobile or desktop sites, so there is no way to cheat it.
You will need to turn it on to be able to place bets. Otherwise, you will have access to your account, but betting action won’t work.
- On PC: restart the PLC through the Task Manager. Control+alt+delete > Player Location Check within the list of running processes).
- On Mac: go to the Apple menu > System Preferences > Player Location Check. Click the lock button in the bottom right and enter your password. Click restart.
For mobile devices:
- On Android: Settings > Location Services.
- On iOS devices: Settings > Privacy > Location Services.
Sports Betting Apps
The days of needing to go to a retail casino or sportsbook are way past us. We live in a technological era, and mobile apps are the best way to place our bets. It’s easy, fun, and you can do it from wherever you are in Michigan, without the need to go to a specific place.
Pros & Cons Of Sports Betting Apps
- Bet whenever you want wherever you are (within the state’s borders).
- Massive array of options for you to choose from.
- Most apps give you the choice to stream live sports.
- Access apps via iOS and Android devices.
- Easy to use. Most betting apps have a simple interface and are user friendly.
- The sportsbooks have made their apps as friendly as possible. Still, it doesn’t replicate the comfort of a desktop site.
- Placing a bet is trickier. The buttons are smaller, so are the screens, the process is longer and needs to be done carefully.
- Gambling can be obsessive. If you have an app, temptation is sitting right there. If you feel like gambling may cause an addiction, betting apps are not a great option.
- Functionality-wise, the apps are still not as good as desktop sites. They are making progress, but betting from a computer is way easier.
Here are the sport betting apps available – or soon to be – in Michigan:
Barstool Sportsbook App
Since joining forces with Penn National, Barstool has become a juggernaut. After they cut a deal with Greektown Casino to be in Michigan, you can only expect Barstool to become a big part of online betting.
BetMGM Sportsbook App
These guys are pushing sports betting to the next level. They already have sponsorship deals with the Detroit Lions and the Detroit Red Wings. With the backing of MGM Resorts International and GVC Holdings, the backbone of this sportsbook app is strong.
BetRivers Sportsbook App
BetRivers will operate associated with Little River Casino. They are a fast-growing betting app and have quite interesting bonuses as well.
DraftKings Sportsbook App
What started as a Fantasy Sports app, became a giant within the industry. Now, the DraftKings betting app has inserted itself into many mainstream platforms, gaining immense popularity. From MMA to NFL, and all in between, DraftKings is a powerhouse.
FanDuel Sportsbook App
One of the first retail outlets opens in Michigan. FanDuel’s forte is their online betting. FanDuel sportsbook is a success in every state where they are available. They have become famous for their wide options of parlays and Fantasy Sports.
Golden Nugget Sportsbook App
Hailing from Las Vegas, Golden Nugget has been a standard for online betting. They landed in Michigan via the Ojibwa Casino and the Keweenaw Bay Indian Community. Expect big things from them.
Four Winds Sportsbook App
Four Winds has four locations throughout Michigan and has now seized the online world. Alongside Pala Interactive, they launched their own sports betting app.
FoxBet Sportsbook App
FoxBet has risen to csm bet casino heights within the sports betting world. They have partnerships with big networks and shows like The Herd and many others on Fox Sports. With that kind of backing, you can expect FoxBet to be aggressive and quite a ride to play in.
Parx Sportsbook App
Partnered with Gun Lake Casino, Parx recently launched its sports betting app. Coming from Philadelphia, they hope their alliance with Gun Lake makes them appealing.
PointsBet Sportsbook App
PointsBet landed a deal with the Detroit Lions. They have been expanding their online presence throughout the country. PointsBet offers some big bonuses and is a big company that keeps on growing.
TwinSpires Sportsbook App
Formerly known as BetAmerica, TwinSpires is backed by Churchill Downs Inc. Yup, the horse racing behemoths. The identity switch comes with the hope that the brand will gain in popularity because of their horse racing brand and the same game parlays betting options.
William Hill Sportsbook App
William Hill originates from the UK. Yet, they crossed the pond and have wasted no time establishing themselves in the USA. William Hill aims to take over Michigan’s online betting scene. They partnered with the Grand Traverse Bay Band of Ottawa and Chippewa Indians to access this market.
WynnBet Sportsbook App
A household name in the casino business, WynnBet wants to insert itself in sports betting. They took a more “social betting” approach in their sports betting app, but it’s still worth the look.
How To Fund Your Betting Account
Funding your account is pretty simple. First, the sportsbook has to verify your account. Then, choose one of the many payment methods they offer. They usually give you a brief explanation for every option and its limits.
How to Deposit:
- Sign in to your account and click on the cashier.
- Select the amount you want to deposit and choose a banking method.
- Follow the instructions provided to complete the transaction.
- Once the funds are in your account, betting can begin!
How to Withdraw Funds:
- Log in to your online sports betting account.
- Select the cashier and choose the Withdrawal button. Enter the amount you wish to remove.
- Choose the bank method and follow the directions to complete the transaction.
- Once the transaction is done, spend the cash as you like!
Online Sportsbook Payment Process
The sportsbooks will offer you a variety of banking options to deposit and withdraw funds. Some of them have withdrawal fees, so be sure you check those out before doing any action. The number of methods can change from one sportsbook to another, but these are the most common ones:
- ACH (eCheck): Transfer your funds via bank account.
- PayPal: One of the biggest eWallets in the world. Users can make deposits and withdrawals from here.
- Bank Wire/Money Orders: This is for large amounts, only allowed by certain apps.
- Credit/Debit Cards: VISA and MasterCard are pretty much always allowed. Some even accept American Express and Discover.
- PayNearMe: Some operators will offer this. Go to your nearest 7-Eleven and pay with cash to fund your account.
- Skrill/Neteller: These are other popular eWallets, like PayPal. Their fees are a bit high for my liking, but they are safe and fast.
- Cash: Pay/withdraw cash at the affiliated retail casino cage.
How Do Sports Betting Sign Up Offers Work?
Michigan is a highly competitive market. This is good for gamblers. Sports betting apps will try to lure you with some big bonuses, especially when you sign up. This is a great way to boost your bankroll from the get-go.
There are three major bonuses offered: the First Deposit, No Deposit, and Risk-Free Bet. Check out more details of these bet types below.
First Deposit Offer
As soon as you make your first deposit, most sportsbooks will give you a bonus to start your betting journey. These can go from free-plays to match bets (they match the amount you deposit and give it to you). You usually have to claim them at the time of deposit, so don’t miss out on the opportunity.
This deal is usually a bonus cash match based on a percentage, such as a 100% match worth up to $200. A First Deposit deal along with others will also have wagering requirements you must clear. Be sure to read the terms and conditions to fully understand how to claim the offer before moving forward.
No Deposit Offer
So, basically, this is them giving us “free money” to bet. You win, you can cash out real money. Here’s the kicker, they come attached to rollovers. This means you must play several times before being able to withdraw. This deal also requires you to make a deposit before you can cash out any funds.
After making your first deposit, some sportsbooks will make your first bet a risk-free one. The premise is simple. Win the bet? All good, keep it going. Lose the bet, and the book will refund you the money lost in credit to your account or free-bets.
Some sites like FanDuel have risk-free bets up to $1000. This type of bonus also comes with rollovers or other conditions attached.
Where Can I Place A Bet In Michigan?
All online sportsbooks in Michigan are licensed by the Michigan Gaming Control Board. They are bound to the three commercial casino operators in Michigan and the 12 federally recognized Native American tribes that operate the state’s 23 tribal casinos.
The three commercial casinos are all based in Detroit:
- Greektown Casino Hotel (Barstool Sportsbook)
- MGM Grand Detroit (BetMGM)
- MotorCity Casino Hotel (FanDuel)
Six sportsbooks have opened at tribal casinos, and this is only the beginning. The sportsbooks are:
- Dacey’s Sportsbook
- Four Winds
- TwinSpires, a.k.a. BetAmerica Sportsbook
- Stage 131 Sportsbook and Lounge
- Traverse City
- William Hill
As for land-based casinos, we have these:
- FireKeepers Casino
- Island & Resort Casino (TwinSpires)
- Little River Casino (BetRivers)
- Gun Lake Casino (Parx Sportsbook)
- Turtle Creek Casino
- Leelanau Sands Casino
- Ojibwa Casino (Golden Nugget)
- Odawa Casino
- Kewadin Casino
Michigan State Sports Betting Laws And Tax Rates
After the initial law passed in 2020, Detroit opened its doors to sportsbooks. The timing was unfortunate, as a week later Covid-19 struck and stopped everything.
The Michigan Gaming Control and Revenue Act of 1996 allows gambling in three casinos on non-tribal land in Detroit. For sports betting, it was until December 2019 that Governor Gretchen Whitmer signed it into law.
As for the taxes rate, sports betting revenue has an 8.4% tax rate. The commercial casinos in Detroit have to add a 1.25% extra in city tax. As for the players, they need to report their profits as these are taxable incomes according to law.
Gambling Problem? Find out how to exclude yourself from betting sports in Michigan.